About Me

My photo
Bremerton, Washington, United States
I’m Stefani and welcome to my very first blog. Here I will share with you my adventures! Be prepared for trip reports from my hiking excursions, keeping up with my journey of raising chickens, and pretty much anything that interests me that I feel I must share with the world!
“Stay Positive and Love Your Life!” - 311

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mailbox Peak


     Mailbox Peak  10/12/13

 
 
 

 
This past weekend’s grand idea was to hike up to Mailbox Peak. At 6 miles RT it’s not a long hike, so perfect for a quick jaunt up the mountain.  HA! That was the longest it ever took me to hike 3 miles. Not that it was a surprise, I was well aware of the difficultness and steepness of this trail, but it was on my to-do list and I figured since I’ve started working out this will be good challenge. Oh boy was it. It was slow moving but not nearly as bad as I was preparing myself for! The trail was so fun, all root covered and unmaintained as it was.

First of all when you get to the trail head in the book/online it says there is a big parking lot…well when you FIRST drive up and see the other cars there is a dirt “lot” with giant cement blocks spraypainted NO PARKING. We thought this was the parking spot the book mention, but there was room for us to park with the other cars on the side with the sign. Obviously we didn’t drive up the road enough, the guide said you would be walking around a gate and up a road for half a mile. Well, so you know you can drive up onto the pavement and turn the corner and there is a beautifully paved parking lot for you complete with a bathroom. You walk a little bit back to a big yellow gate which you simply walk around and start your journey.

Right away you will see a sign for the new trail that was set to be open now. I wonder if the government shut down has anything to do with that. :/ A couple ladies we talked to at the beginning told us about the trail, I had read something a while back about it being made. Sounds like it will be a little less steep but a couple miles longer to the top. The sign posted said it was not a trail yet but you can tell people have been going that way anyways, the orange “gate tape” was pushed aside.

We opted for the legit route and walked the .5 miles up the dirt road to the main trail. Posted was a warning sign “Mailbox Peak Trail is a very steep, wet, unmaintained, difficult, challenging trail”.  Let’s go! Now that first half mile was basically flat, but once on the trail it doesn’t mess around for long. Soon enough you are going up, up and UP. There aren’t too many switchbacks, there were more in the first mile while the rest of the trail just went straight up with little to no flat breaks.
 

LOTS of roots and rocks cover this trail. If it wasn’t steep enough it sure was like using a stair climber! You might consider trees in the middle of the trail bothersome but these were great hand grips, helping you balance and pull yourself up in spots. I didn’t realize how much I gripped these trees until I washed my hands after the hike and the water turned brown!

Bailey waiting on us
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
There were plenty of other hikers coming up and down, but not nearly as many as I would have expected out here. Maybe it had something to do with the abundance of fog, making any views impossible, or the fact that you’re climbing about 1500’/mile. There were many hikers I noticed with multi day packs filled to the brim, they must be training…they’re definitely getting a workout here! We actually talked to a gentleman on his way back down with a pack bigger than me, he’s training for a climb in S. America (if I remember correctly…or S. Africa?) Wherever he is going, he’s a trooper!

Mailbox! And Bailey!
It was such a relief when we spotted the mailbox through the fog! That last little stretch really makes you realize that this was not a walk in the park. First things first, check the mail! Umm…someone left a bottle of whiskey in there! The ladies already relaxing up there mentioned that some other hikers had taken a swig of it upon their arrival. Someone was willing to haul that up here (ok it was just a pint) and then leave it as a reward for those of us tough enough to make it all the way I had to take a victory sip! Well, I forgot I haven’t had liquor in a quite a while so enjoy the pictures of me having some. Haha! Definitely warmed me up, which was welcomed since it was freezing up there! No snow, but across the way you could spot a few snow patches.
 
We stayed up there just long enough to have some snacks and bundle up before heading back down. I’m not sure what was worse, coming up or going down! Shaky knees all the way down, and the loose rocks made it tricky where to step. Why did I leave my poles in the car?! Definitely bring them if you have them.

"Don't give up now!"
John Muir quote
About half way down the fog began lifting. I wonder if we started our day later maybe we would have gotten some views at the top. Next time, hopefully! We made down 1.5 hours faster than going up…stats below. The trail is supposed to be 6.0 miles, we were a little short according to my GPS. I think because the trail is hard to follow and unless you can spot the reflecting diamonds you don’t really know if you’re on the trail or not! With the fog we only saw the diamonds when we were almost upon them. Which by the way, every one was covered with graffiti! Mind you, they were mostly inspirational so it was a little encouraging reading “You can do it!” “You’re almost there!” But still…another reminder we’re in the city!
Round Trip:
5.54 miles
Total time- 5:23 
Time moving- 3:42
Time still- 1:41

Car to Mailbox
2.81 miles
Time- 3:24
Moving time- 2:12
Still time- 1:12
 

Mailbox to Car
2.73 miles
Time- 1:59
Moving time- 1:30
Still time- 0:29



No comments:

Post a Comment