About Me

My photo
Bremerton, Washington, United States
I’m Stefani and welcome to my very first blog. Here I will share with you my adventures! Be prepared for trip reports from my hiking excursions, keeping up with my journey of raising chickens, and pretty much anything that interests me that I feel I must share with the world!
“Stay Positive and Love Your Life!” - 311

Monday, October 28, 2013

Series of Unfortunate Events


I know I’m just being tested, and I don’t know if the point of this test is to see what I can handle being thrown at me in life or if I’m meant to be a believer.

Today I interrupted an attempted break in of my car. The culprit had smashed in my passenger side window and was crouched behind my car hiding when I walked up. Ok, super inconvenient having my window broken but just plain scary to have that man hiding and waiting as I walked around my car to observe the damage. What would I have done if he was aggressive?!

This is not the first obstacle I have been faced in recent weeks. Even though it seems life is being a little rough with me I know I’m getting a soft blow. Things can always be worse and even with what I’ve been going through I am lucky with what I've experienced.

 
Getting towed
#1. First week of school, my car breaks down on my way home in a soon to be busy intersection. Great. Maybe I just need a jump? Well, there’s no safe way to get a car turned around to jump me (it wasn’t going to be such an easy fix like that anyways). That day I got to meet the friendly Tacoma Sherriff and another police officer who ended up pushing my car up the incline with his patrol vehicle and off into a side street, out of harm’s (and angry driver’s) way. This is my first experience in breaking down, first time to call a tow truck, and first time living away from every person I know. Time to grow up and deal with this. Ok, and call dad for advice. J Ended up needing $2k worth of work. No time to shop around so paid it and now I have a wonderfully running car! Took care of things that needed to be done and now I have a safe car. Positive outcome!

#2. Last weekend I was hanging out at my parents’ house while they are out of town. Relaxing night in just me, my dogs, a movie and a blazing fire. Oh yeah, the fire on the roof too. First experience in a house fire, thank God it was just the roof and wasn’t too bad. What is scary to me is that I was in the basement and the fire started from the fireplace up on the 3rd floor. Thankfully my movie ended when it did and I decided to go up to bed. I walked into the room and instantly heard crackling noise. “That would be insane if the roof was on fire…nah, that couldn’t happen” is exactly what I thought. Then I looked out the window and all the trees and bushes were glowing brightly from the reflection of the flames. I run downstairs, outside and up the driveway a little and sure enough giant flames are coming out of the house!!! Officially the scariest moment of my life. I had to then run back inside, upstairs to the room in question and get the dogs! I am so grateful for the timing. If I had stayed in the basement I would have never knew the house was on fire until it was already to the second floor! Or unless smoke made it way low enough because I can’t hear a fire detector going off on the third floor from down there. Or if I was already asleep in that room I wouldn’t have heard the crackling warning me of the fire. It would have to already have gone through the roof before I would have known. Then I might have been trapped, having to jump and throw the dogs out the window. I cannot express how lucky I know I was. In firefighter eyes it was an “easy fire” but seeing those huge flames coming out of my house I thought for sure it was burning at least through the first floor. Turns out the damage is minor. Getting a complete new roof and new carpet. Nothing else was really damaged, I am so impressed with how well everything was taken care of! Positive outcome!












 
#3. After class today I walked up to where I’ve parked the last 3 weeks without any problems whatsoever. This time my luck had changed. As I approached my car I noticed that my front passenger side window had been shattered. Awesome! After everything in the last couple weeks (and $2k already fixing my car) the last thing I wanted was to deal with a broken window. That I was ready to deal with, what I wasn’t ready for was the creep hiding behind my car, crouched down and going around the car as I went to the other side. Was he going to attack?? I confronted him and he stood up denying he did it (why did I waste my breath...of course he did!) and ran off down the hill to the other road. Immediately I called 911 (I’m getting pretty good at that) and walked parallel of him so I could tell the dispatcher which way he was going. After all my years working at the credit union I’m grateful for not having to describe a suspect in a robbery, but remembering my training I was able to note specifics of this guy. Unfortunately there was nothing standout-ish about him but I was able to give a pretty good description, in my opinion. I’m sure he is long gone and that is that, but I do hope he decides to turn his life around after this. For all I know he really needed that granola bar or bottle of water in my car, or maybe a woman in his life needed a tampon (for those were the only noticeable things sitting out in my car). Getting a new window tomorrow while I’m in class, and I was able to meet the campus police. They were super friendly and helpful and very attentive as they could tell I was a little shook up after my encounter. I now have their number, know their office location and was also informed of some self-defense classes offered on campus. Positive outcome!
Campus Police helped tape it together
Popped it out anyway to prevent shattering on drive home

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I’ve realized that it seems I have been super unlucky and the cards have been dealt against me, but I honestly believe I have been tested and positive things have become of all these events. A safe new car, housework for my parents, and a chance to become familiar with resources that will make me safer at school.

In spite of everything this has been a test of myself. How will I handle these situations? Yes, in each circumstance initially I was scared and overwhelmed but everything turned out all right and in each case no one was hurt. The results of every “bad” thing that has happened to me this past month resulted in a positive outcome. Yes there has been a price to pay for everything, but at what cost will you place your safety….your life?

Never take things for granted. There is always a lesson to be learned and be grateful for everything you get put through. I have a feeling this isn’t the end of my “crazy streak”, but these were all life experiences for me and have made me stronger and I’m ready to tackle the next obstacle put in my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment