About Me

My photo
Bremerton, Washington, United States
I’m Stefani and welcome to my very first blog. Here I will share with you my adventures! Be prepared for trip reports from my hiking excursions, keeping up with my journey of raising chickens, and pretty much anything that interests me that I feel I must share with the world!
“Stay Positive and Love Your Life!” - 311

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Old Trail to Mount Si

Mt Si via the old trail, starting at Little Si TH. 10/26/13


Full Lot
Not letting the lack of company hold me back, I decided to head out to the mountains on my own. I don’t normally hike alone, especially in places I’ve never been before, so I decided on a short popular trail up to Little Si. I was a little skeptical from reading a few recent trip reports of bear sightings in the area, but the full parking lot and other hikers hitting the trail calmed my nerves.




Trail connecting parking lots
I had to park in the separate lot that is connected by a short trail. It was only .2 miles from my car to the TH that took only a few minutes. Started at 11:00.

Not even half a mile up the trail a couple gentleman stopped and chatted with me informing that there is an old trail up to Big Si this way. Great, now I want to go there! I don’t sway from my original plans that I leave behind with loved ones but the promise of breaking out of the clouds into the sun was too tempting to pass up. Here is my problem though, I have the WORST short term memory, and even though the gentlemen explained where to turn and what to look for to me I already forgot once I got onto the Boulder Garden Loop Trail. Maybe this is why I don’t hike alone? Don’t worry, there was no disaster to be had today.
Which way!?
I figure if I don’t find the unmarked turnoff for the old trail I can just do the Boulder Garden loop and then go up Little Si when I return around. As I climbed on the vacant trail it was a little spooky heading into the fog, a bright red headed woodpecker startled me as it noisily flew around the brush in front of me. Eventually I ran into a fellow hiker coming from a dead end while on the loop. Turns out we were both looking for the old Mt Si trail. “Microsoft” from Bothell kindly let me tag along for the journey up. Iffy choice #2….following a complete stranger into the mountains swallowed in fog on trails no one else went. >_< It was all good, the company was nice and I was happy to not be alone. I hope I wasn’t too bothersome though!
 
Between both our GPS’ we followed the old trail, obviously not used often as the trail itself was covered in moss. Although we could see tracks showing people have gone through there recently, maybe this was the way those gentlemen from the beginning went? I’m pretty sure we weren’t on the exact trail we wanted to be, but it was a nice walk and we eventually met up with the right trail. After verifying with some other hikers on their way down if this was the correct path we continued up to Mt Si on the old trail. Finally seeing other hikers alone probably proved we finally made it the right way!

The grade up until now was nice, but now we had to start climbing. Not as tough as Mailbox was a couple weeks ago but still very steep! So glad to have my poles with me this time. It was amazing when we broke through the fog, you could actually see the cloud line through the trees.

 

Leaving the fog behind
The rest of the hike was so sunny and warm, it was like a completely different day. It felt like summer! Just a little ways after you get above the fog we saw hikers on the regular trail, the two paths ran parallel for a bit, but you wouldn’t notice unless you saw hikers on them. Spreading out a bit from the other trail we continued up the old trail until met with the regular trail. Right away you can tell the difference, this trail is more maintained with the obvious trail work with gravel and steps…and a lot more people.



Merging of trails
There were only a handful of hikers on our trail, and in just the ¾ miles the trail was one there were dozens and large groups. This is more like what I was expecting, the crowds. Lots of people resting in the boulders that made up the last stretch of the trail. And what a view….of cloud ocean! We went around to the other side where the true summit (at the benches as some ladies on trail explained) and Haystack is.

You can scramble up Haystack although it looks dangerously high. If some friends decide to come hike with me over here we can try! There was a group at the base of Haystack, looked like they were getting ready to climb it, but soon packed up and headed down the mountain.

Rainier in the distance



Camp robber stalker
Here Microsoft and I went our own way. Thanks for the company! Relaxing in the warm sunshine made it so worth changing plans and coming up to Big Si. The view was surreal, you couldn’t tell there was city below, it was just a vast ocean of clouds with peaks of the surrounding mountains poking through.

Finally checking my GPS I had gone 3.77 miles in 2.21 hours with 1:56 hours moving time and the elevation noted at 3874’.

I hung out for another half hour around the summit, taking pictures from different sides. I couldn’t get enough of this view! I felt so far away from everything up here…besides all the people of course, but with all the nooks and crannies to hang out in it wasn’t like everyone was all sitting together anyways.

Glad to head down the trail on my own, I totally wiped out a couple times. Haha. Just a little scratch on my forearm, no battle wounds. Hitting the fog line at about 2600’ I started regretting being alone (it was creepy!) Not wanting to get lost going back the way we came I just stayed on the main trail, so my time/millage is a little different going back. The trail we came out of was at about 1900’ where it is blocked off with some branches from the main trail (oops). I didn’t pass anyone until I came up to the Boulder Garden Loop again. Two different ladies, both solo, heading up the mountain. I was jealous one lady had her dog with her…I miss Jasmine.  
You can see the fog line!

At 5.09 miles I came to the junction for the Boulder Garden Loop/Mt Si trail. There were two ways to go (three counting the trail I just came down) hmm…which way do I go!? Since it was the loop it didn’t really matter which way I chose, but I was ready to get out of this fog! I went right and headed down the Boulder Garden trail for 2 more miles, according to Garmin, to the trailhead. I stayed behind a family for quite a while until the end, declining their offer to pass not only to keep a nice slower pace….but I admit it was nice being near people. WOW, that fog must have creeped me out because usually I want to get away from the people!  
Bunny @ parking lot

Back at the TH the main parking lot had cleared out some so there were open spaces but the lot I parked in seemed to fill up some. 3:30 when I opened up my car. My stats below:

Total Miles 7.1

Total Time: 4:28

Moving Time: 3:22

Still Time: 1:05

Stopped by Snoqualmie Falls on the way home. Didn’t go on the newly finished path to the lower viewpoint, though. Also saw a herd of elk on the way.
Elk herd in field


Snoqualmie Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment